Saturday, April 22, 2006

Quotes of the Day (VI)

As a uniformed officer, one of the subjects that I can not comment upon directly is the controversy over assorted retired flag officers calling on Secretary Rumsfeld's resignation.

For now, I'll let one of the generals speak for himself.

"What bothered me . . . [was that] I was hearing a depiction of the intelligence that didn't fit what I knew. There was no solid proof, that I ever saw, that Saddam had WMD."

General Anthony Zinni, on "Meet the Press," April 2, 2006

"Iraq remains the most significant near-term threat to U.S. interests in the Arabian Gulf region. Iraq probably is continuing clandestine nuclear research [and] retains stocks of chemical and biological muntions . . . .Even if Baghdad reversed its course and surrendered all WMD capabilities, it retains scientific, technical, and industrial infrastructure to replace agents and munitions within weeks or months."

General Anthony Zinni, Testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee, February 29, 2000

Don't worry, General. As they say, "Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."