Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's in Baghdad

It just turned midnight here, and for the past twenty minutes I've been listening to the sounds of celebratory fire going off outside my trailer. I'm hearing everything from isolated cracks of small arms fire, to machine guns on full automatic.

It is obviously coming from within the compound, and to be honest, it is pretty annoying. I guess this is what happens when you don't let people drink on New Year's Eve!

All things considered, I look forward to December 31, 2007, when I'll be a little tipsy on champagne, and looking for my New Year's kiss from my wife.

May you and your loved ones have a HAPPY AND JOYOUS NEW YEAR in 2007.

Ben

UPDATE: At 0700 on New Year's Day, I was awoken by the sound of incoming mortar/rocket fire. Although I have not been able to get official confirmation yet, it sounded as if twelve rounds impacted over the next fifteen minutes or so. The rounds must have been landing on the far side of the IZ, as my trailer didn't shake at all. As with many early morning indirect fire attacks, I was more annoyed than frightened, and rolled over to go back to sleep as soon as the explosions stopped. Insert your own joke about starting the New Year off with a bang here.