Tuesday, March 14, 2006

David (and Daddy) Interlude (III)

As I mentioned earlier, after the Special Operations Command Civil Affairs course ended, I was able to spend a four day weekend at home in Virginia. When I came home for a few days after completing the refresher course at Ft. Jackson, I had a horrible cold, and could not spend as much time with David as I would have liked. However, this time I was able to be around him as much as I wanted, which given my imminent departure, was quite a lot.

Two moments stand out in my mind:
1)On the last day of my visit, we took David to Ft. Belvoir for his two-month check up and immunizations. After the doctor examined him, we decided not to get him dressed again while we waited in line for him to receive his shots, but rather jsut wrapped him in a blanket. I rearranged the blanket to look like a toga, and raised his little arm and in a baby's voice said, "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears!" Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty darn cute.

2) While Marya drove her visiting sister to the airport, the David and I got to spend some quality time together. While he was awake, I laid David down lengthwise on a pillow, and lay down next to him. My weight on the bed caused him to roll over at a 45 degree angle, so that he was facing me. We spent about fifteen minutes nose-to-nose, with David smiling widely the whole time. I think that when I am lonely in Iraq, this will be the memory of David that comes to mind to lift my spirits.

Anyhow, here are two pictures from that too-short visit.