Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Iraq in the Asian Games Finals!!!

On a much cheerier note, we just received the warning not to go outside due the large volume of celebratory fire. Sure enough, I looked it up, and Iraq upset South Korea in the soccer semifinals of the Asian Cup, 1-0!

It is impossible to overstate the amount of adversity the Iraqi national team has had to overcome. I actually met them on my first weekend in country back in March, and as cliched as it sounds, they serve as inspiration to everyone working to build a better future for Iraq, regardless of sect, ethnicity, or even nationality. (And they get Iraqis to fire vertically for a night instead of horizontally!)

The finals are on Friday afternoon, in which Iraq will play the winner of the Qatar-Iran game that is starting within the hour. I really hope that I can find a way to watch the championship. After all they've been through, the Iraqi people deserve this victory.