Tuesday, January 30, 2007

David Interlude (XI)

Okay, breathing deeply now, thinking happier thoughts . . .

I wasn't originally going to post these pictures. My recent TDY to support my Boss involved traveling back to DC for a few days of meetings. This let me spend some time with my family.

While extremely happy to see them, I also felt more than a little guilty. The only time most other soldiers have a chance to get stateside is if they are on R&R, wounded, or taking emergency leave because of the death of a loved one. I was deeply aware that I was enjoying a luxury that other soldiers -- most of whom live in much rougher conditions in Iraq than I do and are more deserving of a break -- could only dream.

But I think that what has hit me the hardest about my friends' deaths here in Iraq is the thought of their children never knowing how special their fathers were. I think this will haunt me more than anything else once my tour is done. This has definitely reinforced my understanding that every moment I spend with David is precious and to be savored. And therefore, anybody who would give me a hard time about going home can . . .

Deep breaths . . . happy thoughts . . .

Below are some pictures from our trip to the playground two weeks ago. (For some reason, I like the earnest look on his face in the second picture better, as if he expects the plastic horse to take off on him any second).