Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Call for Prayers

When I returned to my office from dinner tonight at 1900, I found one of the Majors with whom I share an office doubled over in his chair. At first his convulsions made it appear as if he was laughing, but when I looked more closely I saw that he was silently weeping.

I stepped out to give him some privacy, and the other Major (my supervisor) told me that it had something to do with his baby daughter Katherine, who is about the same age as David. Apparently, Katherine was running a high fever, started to have seizures, and went into a coma. She was still unconscious, and the doctors didn't know either the cause or the prognosis.

After a few tense hours, at 2200 we received word that Katherine's seizures had stopped, and shortly thereafter another call came that she was conscious, albeit somewhat spacy from all the medication. Her CatScans didn't turn up anything abnormal, although they will be running more tests tomorrow morning to determine what caused the Grand Mal seizure.

As all the officers in my office are fathers, we shared some tears of joy. Quite frankly, I can't even begin to imagine how I could function if something like this happened to David, especially while I'm over here. It is just too horrifying to imagine what my friend must have been going through during those hours of uncertainty. Fortunately, he has left to start the journey to get back home and be with his family during this difficult time.

So tonight I'm asking everybody that reads this blog -- from my family and friends, to the left-wing nuts who don't believe I really exist -- to please stop and say a prayer for Katherine's recovery. She hopefully appears to be in the clear, but she can use every little bit of good karma we can muster.

Thanks,

Ben