Thursday, February 15, 2007

The "Fabulous People" on Iraq

From the New York Observer, an . . . um, interesting? . . . take on the war from the patron's of NYC's "exclusive" Bungalow 8. Among some of the choicer excerpts:
-- Interior designer Brinton Brewster, 38, was also very upset. “We were brought into the war under false pretenses, the public was lied to, and we’re creating another generation of terrorists,” he said.

“Unfortunately, the ‘fabulous people’ get a bad rap,” he continued. “Just because we live life in a certain way, they think we don’t have compassion for other people. It’s just not the truth. But you know, what really upsets me, honestly, is the propensity of the media to focus on Lindsay Lohan going in and out of rehab. I don’t care about celebrities and what they’re doing. I’ve met them all.” . . .

-- Next up was a blond woman in her late 30’s. She was wearing a black fedora from the men’s department at Bergdorf Goodman, a black Moschino dress and shoes by Christian Loubouton. I asked her about Iraq.

“A rack? You mean titties? Like a really big rack?”

Iraq.

. . . “I feel personally connected in one way—I’m a mother, and every day in Iraq somebody is losing their child. My little girl will never go to Iraq. I’m sorry, she’ll go to Prada.”

-- Jacqie Venable, a 40-year-old music producer, was wearing a beret and jeans. She said she wasn’t wearing underwear.

She said the war in Iraq was meant to happen “karmically.”

-- Paul Johnson-Calderon, a 23-year-old fashionista wearing a Balenciaga tunic, was also upset.

“I think that the initial reason for us going into Iraq, to get rid of Saddam and his regime, was a good thing,” he said. “How it’s been handled is terrible.” . . .
He looked around Bungalow 8. “Do you think the Iraqis, little villagers in Kandahar, are doing this?” he said. “None of them are. And that’s the sad, awful truth.”

You're right, Paul, the little villagers of Iraq don't have any clubs as fabulous as Bungalow 8. And I think we can all agree that that is the real tragedy of this war.

(G-d, I hate New York).