Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Ma'asalaama

My apologies for the sparse posting recently. By the time our technical problems were resolved last week, I was caught up in a frenzy of outprocessing and awards (I won the Bronze Star) and couldn't find the time to post.

The bottom line is that I'm now less than 24 hours from leaving Baghdad and Iraq, and depending upon the vagaries of demobilizing at Ft. Bliss, hopefully about a week and a half from getting home to Marya and David for good.

There is so much I want to say, but not enough time in which to say it. I will try to write some while I'm in Kuwait for the next few days, and maybe while I'm at Bliss.

Until then, thank you to everybody who offered words of support over the course of the past year. I leave with a very heavy heart knowing that some better men than I aren't going to make it home to their families. I pray for the safety of every servicemember I'm leaving behind, and for the common goal for which we are all making sacrifices . . . victory.

Success in Iraq is not guaranteed, but it is still possible. Although I'm slightly burnt out on the politics surrounding the war, I'll try to offer my final observations in the coming weeks before I return to a normal civilian job.

Ma'asalaama, and G-d Bless all our servicemembers fighting the terrorists and bringing democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan.

BEN