Saturday, March 17, 2007

Safe in Kuwait

It is deja vu all over again.

I'm sitting in the MWR computer lounge here at Ali Al Saleem Airbase in Kuwait, at exactly the same computer where I wrote from almost a year ago. The key difference, however, is that this time I'm waiting for a flight back to the States instead of a flight to Baghdad. (I should be airborne and headed back to Ft. Bliss for demobilization sometime in the next 24-48 hours).

When our C-130 touched down in Kuwait, and the rear ramp opened as we taxied to the pick up point, I thought, "And with that, my war is over." It is a strange feeling to realize I'll likely never set foot in Baghdad again. I'm eager to be permanently reunited with Marya and David sometime in the next week, but leave behind a lot of mixed emotions about the war and the politics surrounding it.

Well, at least I'll have something to write about for my four weeks of leave after I get home. But the most important thing IS that I'll be home soon and in one piece.